Expanding HorizonsThe Reshoring Initiative is succeeding in both of its goals: to increase awareness and to implement action and change.
Since the December 2013 Newsletter, we have been contracted to advise on implementing reshoring strategies for Mississippi and Pennsylvania and for two large corporations.
In addition, Harry Moser was added to the editorial advisory board of Product Design & Development and to Ask the Experts at Industry Week.
On Sept 9, 2013, Harry Moser was one of the lead ins for Jay Leno at Dematic's Material Handling and Logistics Conference. That morning he presented "Welcome Back! - America Rethinks Its Offshoring Strategies."
Harry will be speaking in a Deloitte Reshoring Dbrief. Deloitte, one of the top audit and consulting firms, is anticipating 1,500+ attendees for this free webinar.
- The Rise of "Reshoring" in America is # 1 in Motley Fool's report on: 7 Manufacturing Trends You Must Watch in 2014.
- In Industry Week's Top Stories for 2013, Reshoring and the use of Total Cost of Ownership came in at #5.
- Manufacturing.net reported Reshoring as #2 trend in 2013, based on a combination of performance metrics and importance to the industry as a whole.
- Businessclimate.com reports Reshoring, Made in America, and Innovation among top hot business news of 2013.
- A Grant Thornton survey concludes: Reshoring likely to radically reshape U.S. economy in next year. "In all, 37% of businesses are likely or very likely to bring goods and services work back to the United States ‹ and/or a similar percentage are moving work closer to home (e.g. Mexico, Latin America). This means that as much as 5% overall U.S. procurement may come home. The huge numbers could dramatically impact U.S. trade balances ‹ and should provide an enormous boost to domestic manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers/distributors and service providers."
Even the Accountants are Interested!CFO Channel highlighted Reshoring News by featuring their own piece, "Is the U.S. doing enough to bring jobs back home?" as well as three other Reshoring Initiative informational videos on their homepage, from: Modern Machine Shop, IBS User Forum, and IMTSTV.
Momentum of the Trend Continues to GrowThe Reshoring Initiative has been referenced by an increasing number of publications, including most recently:
- Time "Guess Who's Back?"
- NPR "As Overseas Costs Rise, More U.S. Companies Are 'Reshoring'"
- MarketWatch, Wall Street Journal "Is Manufacturing Back?"
- Central Penn Business Journal "Reshoring Initiative's Harry Moser gives talk in York County"
- Sun News Network "LONG LOST JOBS ARE RETURNING TO AMERICAN SHORES"
- Plastics Today "As Made in USA gains in popularity, companies reshore manufacturing"
- China Daily USA "Backing out of China to reshore"
- Harvard Business Review "The Flow of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs Now Goes Both Ways"
Upcoming 2014 Events
- March 25-27 Mazak Midwest Technology and Education Event Schaumburg, IL
- April 10 2014 WESTERN SLOPE MANUFACTURING SUMMIT Grand Junction, CO (presentation by Millar Kelley)
- April 27-28 NAHAD Phoenix, AZ
- May 5-7 ISM Annual Las Vegas, NV
- June 11-12 Amerimold Novi, MI
- Total Cost of Ownership Estimator Free online tool to help evaluate sourcing alternatives and to make a case when selling against offshore competitors.
- Also see this newly released in-depth webinar Applying Reshoring and Total Cost in PA with Harry Moser, presented by NEPIRC.
- New Reshoring Library - The updated version of the Reshoring Library is complete! The library contains 880+ linked articles on reshoring. Data from the most recent 450 articles can now be publicly accessed through the Advanced Search function; the remaining data from older articles will become available over the next month.
- Submit your own reshoring case for free publicity and to make reshoring more visible.
- Use our Economic Development Program to strengthen your region by replacing imports with local production.
- See our Blog for recommendations on Skilled Workforce Development.
- Invite the Reshoring Initiative to address your or your customers¹ industries at a speaking engagement or meeting.