In the News
The second half of winter was a busy time for both reshoring and the Initiative.
Mississippi and Pennsylvania are leading the reshoring charge!
The Initiative is training teams in Mississippi and Pennsylvania to help companies reevaluate offshoring. To participate, companies in those states can contact:
- Mississippi: Dr. Clay Walden, Director, CAVS Extension Mississippi State University at email@example.com
- Pennsylvania: Maureen Mulcahy, NEPIRC Supply Chain Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org
The world is paying attention.
Following the example of the U.S., international reshoring is growing, especially in Europe where companies are beginning to bring production back to serve local markets. European reshoring is driven by similar motivations (minus cheap energy) including: labor cost, lead time, quality, IP risk, inventory, R&D, mass customization/rapid change, exchange rates, local branding, skilled workforce, and communication. Look for a complete report from the Initiative soon.
CareerBuilder survey finds: 1 in 4 Employers Reshoring Jobs in 2014
"According to the 2014 U.S. Job Forecast, 26 percent of employers nationwide plan to "reshore" jobs this year – bringing offshore jobs back to U.S. – up from 23 percent in 2013... Indeed, if the reshoring trend continues, it could be a major boon for the labor market – and the economy as a whole."
2014 Manufacturing Leadership Award Winner
The Reshoring Initiative was selected as a 2014 Manufacturing Leadership Awards winner in the category of Industry Advocacy Leadership.
Website resource update
Our Library of published reshoring cases now contains over 1000 articles. Sortable data from these articles is available in the Advanced Search function on the website.
Recent Event HighlightsOver 2000 people joined the Deloitte webinar in which the Initiative presented Re-shoring: Is It Time for Mid-Market and Private Companies to Bring Manufacturing Home? The Initiative appreciated the insights and market access that Deloitte provided.
On Thursday, March 13th at 1:00 pm, the U.S. House of Representative's Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Tax, and Capital Access held a hearing on reshoring. The Reshoring Initiative was contacted to testify but was not available to do so. Instead we sent a proposal based on our economic development and skilled workforce program. We had recently submitted the proposal to Commerce Secretary Pritzker via Cong. Wolf (VA).
|Lou Lenzi, Director Industrial Design, GE Appliance Park, Louisville, KY (left), and Harry Moser of the Reshoring Initiative discuss GE's success reshoring appliance production to Appliance Park.|
Upcoming 2014 Events
- April 29 – Mass. Advanced Manufacturing Summit, DCU Center, Worcester, MA
- May 1 – Audio Solutionz Live Audio Conference, Audio Conference 1-2pm ET
- May 5 – ISM Annual, Las Vegas, NV
- May 6-7 – Mazak Northeast Technology & Education Event, Windsor Locks, CT
- May 8 – Renaissance Executive Forum, Oak Brook, IL
- May 13 – EPDA, Birmingham, AL
- May 20 –TMA Apprentice Graduation, Rosemont, IL
- May 20 – NJTMA, Rahway, NJ
- June 5 – Blaser International Sales Summit, Mahwah, NJ
- June 17 – Procurecon, Milwaukee, WI
- October 28-30 – The Assembly Show, Rosemont, IL
If you have a reshoring event and would like to include the Initiative, or be listed in our Newsletter, send us an email!
- Total Cost of Ownership Estimator™ – Free online tool to help evaluate sourcing alternatives and to make a case when selling against offshore competitors.
- Also see this newly released in-depth webinar Applying Reshoring and Total Cost in PA with Harry Moser, presented by NEPIRC.
- New Reshoring Library -The updated version of the Reshoring Library is complete! The library contains over 1000 linked articles on reshoring. Data from the most recent 450 articles can now be publicly accessed through the Advanced Search function; the remaining data from older articles will become available over the next month.
- Submit your own reshoring case for free publicity and to make reshoring more visible.
- Use our Economic Development Program to strengthen your region by replacing imports with local production.
- See our Blog for recommendations on Skilled Workforce Development.
- Invite the Reshoring Initiative to address your or your customers' industries at a speaking engagement or meeting.
Reshoring Initiative Sponsors:Congratulations to our sponsors, you are doing a great job of bringing manufacturing back to the United States!
The Wessel Group
Milltronics CNC Machines
TCI Precision Metals
Swiss Machine Tool Society
IronCalifornia Metals Coalition
Chicago White Metal Casting
Industrial Fasteners Institute